Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hello!

This is really strange....

I've been doing something like this for a very long time. (I created my first website in 1992!)

And I "blogged" as if my daughter wrote her site as she grew up.

Now, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. (It's only a "bit" since if one's introspective enough, EVERY moment is actually a crossroads.

I'm: unemployed, but quite busy (more on that later), I'm getting "up there" in age, I think many things are "simple" only to realize that they really aren't (it's just that I've done them so much that I think of them as such).

So I'm looking... for new opportunities (as outplacement firms like to say).

Things are actually quite odd in the job market (at least in the Silicon Valley in high-tech from my vantage point):

There are jobs... few, but a couple but there are a lot of applicants as well. So jobs get taken off the postings very quickly. And the people hiring are very picky.

The VC funding market which was starting to show a spurt earlier this year has fizzled. My guess is that the rainy day funds that the VCs had in reserve are now all committed.

BTW. I got hit with the Conflicker virus (and its aftermath of viruses that uses the holes that it opens).

Two things:
  • McAfee is really horrible for spy/malware. It says it's malware protection but it doesn't detect whole bunch of them including "Antispyware Protect 2009." I'm dumping it as soon as my license runs out.
  • There are a bunch of so-called malware "protection s/w" out there that's not worth its weight
  • Spybot Search&Destroy is freeware (actually by-donation-ware) and it's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment